This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1057422



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265144

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/112 Castle of Comfort



Inn, now hotel. Probably C16, alterations dated 1655, subsequently altered and enlarged notably late C19. Roughcast over rubble, plain tile roof, decorative ridge tiles, overhanging eaves decorative bargeboards and brackets, brick stack to right of entrance and centre left. Plan: has undergone extensive modifications, probably open hall house, ceiled 1655, stair turret at rear, outer bays extended and gabled cross wings added. Two storeys, long facade, gabled cross wings, scattered fenestration, mainly late C19 casements with many small panes; left gable end 2 small C20 casements, centre 2-light casements grouped one left, 3 right, 3 of them with gables, C20 casement right gable end, ground floor left gable end unlit with segmental headed carriage- way entrance on right return now glazed, 3 narrow single light casements and 2-light casement to left of entrance, 3 narrow casements to right, 2-light casement right gable end. Pantiled gabled porch, decorative bargeboards, plank door. Interior, main feature of interest plaster decoration on first floor chimney breast date 1655, coat of arms flanked by strawberry flowers, chamfered wooden lintel carried in cyma recta sandstone brackets, unchamfered jambs; plaster motif on ceiling with conical pendant. (An inspection of the roof might yield more information.) There was a licenced vitualler recorded at the Castle of Comfort 1689 and it continued as an inn until the 1860s. Dorothy Wordsworth records a visit in her diary 1798. (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST1712539997

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

National Grid Reference: ST 17125 39997


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057422 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 01:12:52.

End of official listing