OIL RETORT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057429
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
OIL RETORT HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OIL RETORT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057429 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 10:16:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
OIL RETORT HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilve
National Grid Reference:
ST 14452 44313

Details

ST14SW 5/125

KILVE CP KILVE PILL Oil Retort House

GII Oil retort house.Circa 1924.Red brick,irregular bond,and cast iron.Roughly square in plan,a rectangular block about four metres high and 2.15x2.45 metres square.Flat roofed,divided by recessed string course with inset cast iron bar on East front,corbelled projection below on all fronts,irregularly placed square ventilation holes,majority on East and West fronts;segmental headed loading opening on West front at ground floor level with cut off pipe above,angled segmental headed opening on North front above low external stepped plinth partially damaged.Surrmounted by cast iron chimney with flange attached on West side,thought to have been an attachment to carry away and condense the vapours,in all about five metres high.In 1916 it was discovered that the shale beds of the North Somerset coast were rich in oil and in 1924 Dr Forbes-Leslie founded the Shaline Company to exploit them.This retort house is thought to be the first structure erected here for the conversion of shale to oil but the company was unable to raise sufficient capital and this is now all that remains of the anticipated Somerset oil boom.Listed primarily for historical interest.(Country Life October 26,1967;photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1445244313

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265166
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 26 October, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].uk.