CHURCH HOUSE AND POUND ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1057446
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE AND POUND ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HOUSE AND POUND ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 08:30:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE AND POUND ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crowcombe
National Grid Reference:
ST 14033 36678

Details

ST1436 CROWCOMBE CP

16/57 Church House and Pound adjoining to North West

22.5.69

GV II*

Church house and pound. Circa 1515, restored 1908. Red sandstone random rubble, Has stone dressings, slate roof, coped verges, stone stack right. 2 storeys, 4 bays, all windows 2-light hollow chamfered, stone mullions with leaded panes, coved string course, ground floor three windows to right and one to left of pair of 4 centred arch doorways, moulded architraves, with early C20 plank doors and decorative hinges. External stone stair on left return gives access to first floor. Interior: fine 7 bay arch braced collar purlin roof with 3 tiers of curved wind braces. Right return red sandstone rubble wall about 2 metres high with 'hit and miss' coping encloses the pound fall swept up over depressed arch entrance with rusticated voussoirs. C20 wooden gate set on forth East side. Wall returned to Church House, Church House is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No.27). (VCH Somerset, Vol.5, forthcoming; Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1403636677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265100
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08161/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Stacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].