GOTHIC RUIN, ABOUT HALF A MILE NORTH OF CROWCOMBE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057448

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: GOTHIC RUIN, ABOUT HALF A MILE NORTH OF CROWCOMBE COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of GOTHIC RUIN, ABOUT HALF A MILE NORTH OF CROWCOMBE COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 12:10:15.

Location

Statutory Address: GOTHIC RUIN, ABOUT HALF A MILE NORTH OF CROWCOMBE COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Crowcombe

National Grid Reference: ST 14045 37350

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST13NW CROWCOMBE CP

10/61 Gothic ruin, about half a mile North of Crowcombe Court

-

GV II

Shown on OS Map as Convent (ruin). Folly in the form of ruined Gothic chapel. Circa 1776, incorporating some medieval stonework. Red sandstone random rubble, limestone dressings. Plan: cruciform, East end overlooking stream. 2 storeys, 1:1:1 bays; large arched East end window opening, remains of cusped tracery, finials on gable end, flanked by symmetrical, buttressed wings, first floor arched openings, larger 2-light openings below, remains of cusped tracery left. Gabled returns, moulded arched entrance North side, South side round headed arch entrance. Picturesquely sited ruin set high above the stream, half way up a steep wooded slope. Inaccessible at tile of survey (August 1983) because of dense undergrowth. Some of tracery reported to have come from demolished parts of Halsway Manor, or tne earlier Crowcombe Manor, demolished 1724. (Photograph in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming; Country Life, April 22 1933).

Listing NGR: ST1404537350

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265105

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Country Life' in 22 April, (1933)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

End of official listing