This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1057465



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bicknoller

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265050

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/1 Church of St George



Parish Church, C15 and C16, perhaps incorporating some C12 work, restored 1871-2 by J D Sedding. Red sandstone random rubble, squared and coursed North aisle, C19 slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. 4-bay nave, chancel, South porch, West tower, 4-bay North aisle. Crenellated 3 stage tower, diagonal buttresses, string course with gargoyles at corners, 2-light bell opening, lancet second stage, 3-light West window, square crenellated stair turret North East lit on corner. Nave, crenellated quatrefoil pierced perlons, 4-light Tudor arch head to right of gabled 2-storey porch, crenellated returns with quatrefoil pierced perlons, string course with gargoyles, setback buttresses, lit on right return only, large head stone with eroded inscription on left return, C19 moulded opening, niche with statue abcve. C19 door. Chancel 4- and 3- light windows flanking priests door, large 5-light East window, lover portion blocked with inserted decorative panels, steeply chamfered plinth; on North wall of chancel and North aisle all 3-light, latter between set back buttresses. Crenellated pierced merlons, door at west end. Interior: rendered. Standard Perpendicular arcade and piers with foliage capitals, pointed tower arch in 3 orders with very large chamfer, rear wave moulded, lowest order possibly cut in. C19 open ribbed wagon roofs, C12 pillar piscina in chancel. Altar, stone slab steeply chamfered corners, perhaps the top of a chest tomb or maybe a pre-Reformation altar. 3-bay screen with double doors and fan vaulting, much restored, reputed to have cone from Huish Champflower 1726. Early C16 and early C20 bench ends. Painted and gilded wall tablet to John Sweeting of Thorncombe, died 1688, (Photographs in NMR; VCH, Somerset Vol 5, forthcoming; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958.

Listing NGR: ST1107639428

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 11075 39428


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 06:37:25.

End of official listing