This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER BRENDON HILL MINERAL RAILWAY STATION, AT NGR ST 0225 3435

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER BRENDON HILL MINERAL RAILWAY STATION, AT NGR ST 0225 3435

List entry Number: 1057540

Location

FORMER BRENDON HILL MINERAL RAILWAY STATION, AT NGR ST 0225 3435

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Old Cleeve

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264821

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST03SW OLD CLEEVE CP BRENDON HILL

7/63 Former Brendon Hill Mineral Railway Station, at NGR ST 0225 3435

11.6.75

- II

Mineral railway station, now store. 1861, altered late C20. Rendered over red sandstone, rusticated quoins, plinth, door and window surrounds, hipped slate roof, brick stack left, deep projecting eaves on facade, lower independently roofed gabled wings. Single storey, 1:2:1 bays, wooden casements, right wing inserted C20 window in rendered earlier doorway opening, probably to WC. Central three-quarter glazed double doors. Eaves supported at ends by C20 rendered walls with side lights, replacing original timber supports. The Brendon iron nines opened 1851; the final section of the mineral railway to the coast, the incline from Camberow to the summit at Brendon Hill opened 1861. Mining finally ceased in 1910. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming; Sellick, The West Somerset Mineral Railway 1970).

Listing NGR: ST0225034350

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Sellick, , The West Somerset Mineral Railway, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 02250 34350

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 03:58:24.

End of official listing