HALF MOON COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057566

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Dec-1984

Statutory Address: HALF MOON COTTAGE, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALF MOON COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 00:01:29.

Location

Statutory Address: HALF MOON COTTAGE, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Monksilver

National Grid Reference: ST0733337465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST03NE MONKSILVER CP FRONT STREET (East side)

5/24 Half Moon Cottage (formerly listed as Birds Hill Cottage) 22.5.69

GV II

Cottage, formerly an inn. Late medieval in origin, altered late C16 and C17. Rendered over rubble facade, colourwashed random rubble left return with raking buttresses, large brick stack above entry and left gable end. Plan: open hall house ceiled to 3 cell with lobby entry, single cell addition centre rear. 2 storeys, projecting bay left lit only by small moulded opening, first floor steeply chamfered wooden 2-light casement left, others 2-and 3-light leaded casements, groundfloor 2- and 4- light casements left of entrance, 4-light to right, good imported C17 door, gabled thatched rustic porch. Interior not viewed, said to contain at North end fireplace with scroll stops to lintel, blocked stairway to left with oven behind and large circular chamber to right of fireplace with corbelled stone roof, presumably a corn drying or bacon curing chamber. Chamfered beams with enriched stops and 4 pair of jointed crucks. This building was recorded as the Ram Inn in 1675 and by 1785 was known as the Half Moon Inn, but ceased to be an inn circa 1860 when the Notley Arms (qv) was built. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, September 1980).

Listing NGR: ST0733337465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 264781

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in September, (1980)

End of official listing