ST03SE ELWORTHY CP
8/4 Church of St Martin
Parish church, now redundant. C13 tower, porch and nave roof late C15, chancel rebuilt 1695 and again in 1846 when nave
restored and organ chamber added, church declared redundant 1979. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings,
slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3 bay nave, South organ chamber, chancel and rood loft stair projection. Lower
2-stage crenellated tower, unbuttressed, 2 square bell openings, lancet, entrance at first floor level by flight of
steps on South side, wooden chamfered 4 centred arch doorcase with renewed studded plank door. Buttressed, single
storey, gabled porch, moulded arched entrance, split at apex and subsiding, chamfered arched inner doorway, C19 door;
lancet to right in nave, South front two 2-light windows, another 2-light to organ chamber projection, 3-light East
window, chancel with diagonal buttresses, rood loft stair projection at junction with nave North face, 2-light window
to left of porch. Interior: rendered. C19 pointed chancel arch, similar to organ chamber, unmoulded round tower arch.
C19 barrel vault to chancel, late C15 ribbed plaster barrel vault to nave. Mid C17 alabaster font, Jacobean pulpit,
late C17 turned baluster altar rails and table, some C17 stained glass in window, C19 screen incorporating frieze: "0
lord Prepare Our Arts to Praye Anno 1632" and some C17 tracery. C16 bench ends attached to choir stalls. Slate tomb
slab in nave to Mary Green died January 19th, 1718/l9. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming; Photographs in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST0828934964