THE LIDO BOATING POND AND RETAINING WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057651

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: THE LIDO BOATING POND AND RETAINING WALLS, ROYAL ESPLANADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LIDO BOATING POND AND RETAINING WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057651 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:03:40.

Location

Statutory Address: THE LIDO BOATING POND AND RETAINING WALLS, ROYAL ESPLANADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Thanet (District Authority)

Parish: Ramsgate

National Grid Reference: TR 37113 64172

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAMSGATE ROYAL ESPLANADE TR 3764 SW (south side) 17/340 The Lido, boating pond and retaining walls. GV II Bandstand and terraces, now boating pool and Leisure Park. 1924 by Sir John Burnet and Partners. Rendered brick, low retaining wall to roadside, with flights of stairs and side walls and central semi-circular flight all leading to terrace, with central boating pond with fountain, the retaining wall with cast iron lamp standards. This circular enclosure was originally a dance floor with central bandstand until converted after W.W. II. A bronze plaque on the lower boundary wall records the opening of the Royal Esplanade and undercliff by the Prince of Wales, 1926. Flanked by sun- shelters and cafe (see separate items). (See Busson, Book of Ramsgate, 111).



Listing NGR: TR3711364172

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 171976

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Busson, C , Book of Ramsgate111

End of official listing