HEDGELEY HALL WITH SCREEN WALL TO SOUTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057652

Date first listed: 31-Dec-1969

Statutory Address: HEDGELEY HALL WITH SCREEN WALL TO SOUTH WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEDGELEY HALL WITH SCREEN WALL TO SOUTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 18:28:29.

Location

Statutory Address: HEDGELEY HALL WITH SCREEN WALL TO SOUTH WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hedgeley

National Grid Reference: NU 07230 17175

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEDGELEY HEDGELEY NU 01 NE 4/234 Hedgeley Hall, with screen wall 31.12.69 to south-west GV II

Country House. South range is late C18 remodelling of older fabric, with early C19 wings to rear remodelled and incorporated in major extension of c.1910-14 by George Reavell of Alnwick, for Colonel Henry Carr-Ellison. C18/19 parts squared stone, early C20 parts squared and tooled stone except for rock-faced north-east wing; ashlar dressings. Scottish slate roofs except for C20 grey tiles on west part of early C20 extension. Late C18 house in Gothick style, 1914 parts Tudor.

West front in 3 sections. 2 storeys. Older 3-bay right part has central 5-window bow with traceried 2-light windows with Gothick glazing bars; centre ones are purple slate panels; linked hoodmoulds. Tall central parapet has roundel flanked by cruciform loops. Varied openings in flanking bays. Buttressed screen wall steps down to right. All walls have embattled parapets. 3-bay centre section has projecting gabled left bay with 2-storey canted bay window; 3- and 4-light mullioned and transomed windows holding leaded casements; moulded parapets. Tall stepped-and-corniced stacks with panelled shafts to ridge and right end. North-west wing, to left, above projecting basement of c.1950; 2 gabled bays; scattered small windows, and armorial panel at base of corbelled-out stack.

South front: 2 storeys + attic, 3 + 2 bays. Left part has central C20 glazed double doors, 12-pane sash windows and C19 attic dormer on corbels, with quatrefoil above casement; right part has French windows in older openings and C20 balcony above. Roll mouldings around openings and to right corner of range. Crowstepped right gable end; stepped-and-corniced ridge and right end stacks.

East (entrance) front, 5 gabled bays: projecting 2-storey porch with Tudor- arched doorway; 2- and 3-light windows, some transomed. 3-bay north-east wing to right.

Interior: Late C18 plaster ceilings in west room of south range and bedroom above, the latter having a contemporary panelled fireplace. Other parts all 1910-1914, with open-well stair and rich plaster ceilings; doors and fireplaces brought from Dunston Hill (Gateshead) and Hebburn Hall.

Listing NGR: NU0723017175

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236579

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing