Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057673.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 22:34:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 30186 27059


PARISH OF REPTON WILLINGTON ROAD SK 30/3127 SK 30/3126 6/98 (South Side) 19.1.67 The Chapel, Repton School GV II School Chapel. Nave 1857-8 by Henry Stevens, apse 1867, south aisle 1884, ante-chapel, north aisle and north transept 1901-5 by Naylor & Sale, south transept and porch 1929 by W A Forsyth. Sandstone ashlar, Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables. Lead spire towards the east end of the nave, with octagonal bell stage with crocketed gables. Chamfered and moulded plinth. Nave and transepts, south porch, chancel, transepts and ante-chapel. The north aisle stops one bay short of the west end of the nave. 3-light west window with Perp style tracery and encircled quatrefoil above. South elevation of four bays divided by buttresses with two set-offs. The west bay has a 2-light pointed window with Perp style tracery. Remaining three bays have similar windows in pairs. Coved cornice with fleuron frieze. Short south transept with a 3-light window to south with Perp tracery and gable above flanked by buttresses. Canted single storey ground floor projection to south with mullioned windows with cusped arched lights. To the east a single storey parapet entrance bay. Rose window above, and wooden bell cote bracketed out beneath the gable. Polygonal apse with three 2-light windows with plainly cusped geometric tracery. Coved cornice with fleurons. Gabled north aisle with an east window of three lancet lights with geometrical tracery. Two bay north transept and ante-chapel with castellated parapet and gableted buttresses. 3-light Perp style window and a 2-light: window over the priest's doorway. The north aisle has a castellated parapet and four bays, with fenestration as on the south side. Additional projecting porch bay to right has a moulded doorway with carved frieze over and hoodmould. 3-light mullion window above with trefoiled lights, set in deep moulded surround. Sunk panels on either side with relief figure scenes of St Guthlac and St Wystan. The porch has angle huttresses. The west wall is blind apart from a triplet of small 3-light windows with ogee lights under square heads. Interior: Six bay arcades, the four west bays have piers of four engaged columns. Moulded capitals and arches. The arches of the eastern bays die into the imposts. Double hammerbeam roof with traceried panels. West gallery with coving, winged angels and a canted projection. Various late C19 stained glass windows and in the north chapel a window of 1918 of higher quality. Moulded chancel arch on foliage capitals and with filleted responds. C19 open backed benches.

Listing NGR: SK3018627059


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15306/17
Rights: © Mr John Lewis. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].