CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057675
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 05:45:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
North East Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Holmesfield
National Grid Reference:
SK 32061 77690

Details

PARISH OF HOLMESFIELD MAIN ROAD SK 37 NW 5/164 (North Side) Church of St Swithin, 31.1.67 Holmesfield II Parish Church. 1727, with additions in 1826, 1895 and 1961. Coursed squared coal measures sandstone, with quoins, coped gable with cross finial to chancel, and slated roof coverings. West tower, C20 tower porch, nave, chancel, and vestry. Two stage tower with flat bands delineating stages. First stage with single light pointed arched window within chamfered surround; second stage with clock face and embattled added parapet with crocketed pinnacles, incorporating central segmental headed plaque bearing the date 1826. C20 gabled lean-to porch encloses original entrance with quoined surround, massive lintel and planked door with glazed light to centre. Nave end wall window also within the porch, of 2-lights with slightly chamfered mullion, in flush surround, and with leaded glazings. Above, a matching window lights the nave gallery. Three bay nave with tall semi-circular headed windows and raised alternating quoins to surrounds. Chancel added in two single bay phases, with one single lancet to late C19 bay, which rises from a shallow plinth, and has a moulded eaves band, and a buttress to the original end, now mid wall. Angled buttress to new south-east corner, and tripartite east windows consisting of a tall central lancet, flanked by lower lancets, within a recessed panel of ashlar sandstone, beneath a semi- circular headed arch. Gabled vestry and Sunday school additions to north side. Interior retains gallery with pews, supported on thin circular iron columns, with a stone access stair within the tower. Interior. Gallery to east end, with charity boards, otherwise fittings are C19.

Listing NGR: SK3206177690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79646
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00451/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].