NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057771
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1949
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 17:46:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Frome
National Grid Reference:
ST 77627 48059

Details

1. 5363 MARKET PLACE (North-west side)

National Westminster Bank ST 7748 SE 5/89 22.7.49

GV II

2. Built circa 1830 as an Assembly Room for Lord Cork and Thomas Bunn (local worthy). Attributed to Wyattville but plans signed by John Pinch of Bath. Presumably altered to present appearance of "Bankers' Georgian" in the 1850s. Imposing 2 storey ashlar front with high moulded plat band which supports the Ionic columns framing the first floor. This is treated as a large panel framed by pilasters. Simple entablature with cornice and parapet which break forward slightly at each side. 2 windows on 1st floor, glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves and cornices, moulded panel above both. Ground floor formerly open. 3 round beaded openings with modern glazing, centre wider, door to right-hand one. Hipped slate roof. 3 bay return to west, reflecting front but in this case the outer bays are panels formed by flanking pilasters and with moulded panels over windows. Recessed central bay with engaged flanking Ionic columns. Interior gutted.

Listing NGR: ST7762748059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266239
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/04535/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].