NORTH HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057786
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Feb-1983
Statutory Address:
NORTH HILL HOUSE, NORTH PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 16:59:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORTH HILL HOUSE, NORTH PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Frome
National Grid Reference:
ST 77982 48305

Details

1. 5363 NORTH PARADE (South-east side)

GV North Hill House ST 7748 SE 5/182 31.1.74 (formerly listed as North Hill House) II (Urban District Council Offices)

2. First in Church Rates 1779. 2 storey, 7 window ashlar front, divided into 3 bays, the centre set back. Moulded cornice. Glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves. Central doorway has Ionic pilasters and pediment. C19 alterations and additions including attic storey with slate mansard roof and heavy balustrade. 3 chimneys with moulded capping. 2 window 1 storey extension to right. Irregular 2 window extension to left with balustraded stair turret. Interior decoration appears to be a pastiche see especially Council Chamber and adjoining coved ceiling room. Original staircase with modern hall screen and newel. Interesting rear elevation with 2 storey bow and rusticated window surrounds. 2 of the stableyard buildings to north are also of interest one is the original stable cottage, the other a circa 1800 long coach house of 2 storeys with hipped slate roof and 3 + 3 windows (blocked) on 1st floor. The house belonged to the Le Gros family (silk manufacturers) until the 1950s.

Listing NGR: ST7798248305

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266272
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09450/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Witherow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].