This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ORIEL COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ORIEL COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1057827

Location

10, GENTLE STREET
ORIEL COTTAGE, GENTLE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Frome

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Feb-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266175

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5363 GENTLE STREET (West side)

GV No 10 and ST 7747 NE 10/65 31.1.74 Oriel Cottage (former listed II as No 10)

2. Dated inside 1709 and 1723. Structure older. (Leased to Richard Tucker in 1692). 2½ storeys, gable end to road. Rubble with pantile roof, 2 chimneys, one of stone, one of brick. Gable end has mid-C19 glazing bar sash and door to left in block surrounds. 1 segmental dormer. North front slightly angled and part of 1st floor jettied. 2 and 3 light mullion windows with ogee and flat moulding (circa 1720), and one ditto on ground floor (restored externally in C19) and a modern 2-light wooden casement. Lower projecting 2 storey gabled wing to north (formerly "Mrs Fortune's Dairy"). Extension to rear with pantile roof, former cottage converted into barn. Interior: stop chamfered beam. Said to have 2 dated beams (1709 end 1723) and dated fireplace on ground floor (concealed) with motto "Thou God seest me 1723". To rear: stairhead projection treated as blind dormer.

Listing NGR: ST7764547884

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 77638 47869

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 02:46:53.

End of official listing