BADCOX CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057836
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Feb-1983
Statutory Address:
BADCOX CHAPEL, CATHERINE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BADCOX CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 15:03:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
BADCOX CHAPEL, CATHERINE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Frome
National Grid Reference:
ST7739748035

Details

1. 5363 CATHERINE STREET (South side) ST 7748 SW 4/330 22.7.49 Badcox Chapel (formerly listed as "Former Baptist Church and schoolroom'') GV II

2. 1813. Ashlar. Greek Doric portico on lias steps with Doric frieze and pediment contained in tall parapet; paired columns. Central eared doorcase with panelled doors. Flanking bays with cornice and tall parapet, right-hand one with end pilaster, eared doorways with blind panel over. 3 bay 2 storey projecting rubble extension to left with pediment gable and moulded verge; architraves and cornices to windows, centre 1st floor window with pediment. Main room of rubble rises clear behind. Interior: galleried on 3 sides on cast-iron columns; panelled divisions; rising seats. Remains of an organ. 5 x 7 arched windows with Art Nouveau patterns in glazing. Coved cornice to ceiling.

Listing NGR: ST7739748035

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266101
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05154/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Brendan Balhetchet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].