BRIDGE HOUSE AND COTTAGE TO NORTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057858
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1949
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE HOUSE AND COTTAGE TO NORTH WEST, 1, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE HOUSE AND COTTAGE TO NORTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 22:29:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE HOUSE AND COTTAGE TO NORTH WEST, 1, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Frome
National Grid Reference:
ST 77746 48175

Details

1. 5363 BRIDGE STREET

No 1 (Bridge House) GV and cottage to ST 7748 SE 5/29 22.7.49 north west

II

2. Early C19 features to circa mid C18 building. 'L' plan. Coursed rubble with relieving arches, moulded cornice, parapet, modern pantile roof, hipped to left, 2 ashlar chimneys with moulded capping, Cast iron rainwater head on right-hand gable ornamented with wreaths. 3 cambered head dormers. 2 storeys; 3 windows, sashes with glazing bars. Moulded architraves. Projecting central later C18 walled porch with entablature on pilasters; inside is a mid-C18 doorpiece with raised surround and brackets to pediment broken to accommodate a ball. Interior altered circa 1800. Wide entrance hall, staircase in circular well at rear (moulded soffits to steps, wood grained) cast-iron decoration below staircase. 2 fireplaces on ground floor, one to front and another rear left, with eared surrounds, marble cheeks and decorative Adam style friezes. Shutters and doors inside have raised and fielded panels. 'L'-plan extension to rear with 3 gables to courtyard, one with sundial. At right angles to north-west is a 1½ storey cottage of rubble. with pantile roof (partly stone tile).

Listing NGR: ST7774648175

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266056
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/05772/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G F J Russell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].