TOMB OF BISHOP KEN OUTSIDE EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057889

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1983

Statutory Address: TOMB OF BISHOP KEN OUTSIDE EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, BATH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOMB OF BISHOP KEN OUTSIDE EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 10:06:28.

Location

Statutory Address: TOMB OF BISHOP KEN OUTSIDE EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, BATH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Frome

National Grid Reference: ST 77733 47899

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5363 BATH STREET (East side)

Tomb of Bishop Ken 10/113 outside east end of Church of St John II

2. Mid C19 housing to early C18 grave. Significant position outside the chancel. Low gabled housing built, buttressed and roofed in stone with open cusped side arches closed by wrought-iron palisades. The interior has a coffin-shaped slab with empty metal banding over with only a crozier and a mitre on it. Bishop Ken (1637-1711) was one of the seven Bishops who refused the oath of Indulgence 1689 to William and Mary and was consequently deprived of his See of Bath and Wells. Hence the symbolism: an empty grave, and empty coffin, outside the church.

Listing NGR: ST7773347899

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 266037

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing