ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE'S HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1057909
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Mar-1974
Statutory Address:
ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE'S HOSPITAL, MAGDALENE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE'S HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 22:39:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE'S HOSPITAL, MAGDALENE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Glastonbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 49882 38661

Details

MAGDALENE STREET 1. 1133 (West Side) Almshouses and Chapel of St Mary Magdalene's Hospital (formerly listed as St Mary's Almshouses) ST 4938 7/81 21.6.50. II* 2. Founded before 1322 to house 10 poor men. The present buildings seem mostly late medieval. The chapel, east wall and gable of hall with bell-cote, the west wall and lower part of west gable survive. Originally the chapel opened out of the east end of a great hall. The roof of this hall is thought to have been removed after the Dissolution, and 2 rows of little houses were built facing a narrow central passage. Only the north range survives with entrance from street through an arch in east end. 5 houses in range. 2 storeys. Random rubble. Slate roof. Chimney-stack at west end. 5 windows. Paired wood casements to left and paired mullioned windows to right. 5 doorways (2 blocked) with arched heads. Plain wooden doors. The chapel is basically Perp with a single lancet (blocked) in east wall. Slate roof, lowered in pitch. Tiny 3-light windows under rectangular hoodmoulds. Small piscina and boarded roof with paterae inside. Pointed west arch with double wooden doors.

Listing NGR: ST4987238660

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265986
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].