WITHYPOOL BRIDGE AT NGR SS 8452 3545

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1057969
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
WITHYPOOL BRIDGE AT NGR SS 8452 3545

Map

Ordnance survey map of WITHYPOOL BRIDGE AT NGR SS 8452 3545
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057969 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 05:33:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
WITHYPOOL BRIDGE AT NGR SS 8452 3545

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Withypool and Hawkridge
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 84512 35451

Details

SS83NW WITHYPOOL CP WITHYPOOL VILLAGE

12/165 Withypool Bridge at NGR SS 8452 3545 6.4.59 II*

Shown on OS map as New Bridge. Road bridge over River Barle, C19, restored in 1866 by John Buslin and William Browner and Son, and in 1983 by Somerset County Council. Flat bedded slate, red sandstone chamfered blocks terminating parapets. Six arch bridge, cutwaters between rising to springers of arches continued as buttresses to just below coping of parapet, dressed flat bedded slate to form saddle back coping, parapets raking back and terminating with buttress piers on north east and south west returns. Date 1983 set in pebbles on breakwater. This bridge replaced an earlier bridge some 100 m upstream. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 26B). (Photograph in NMR.)

Listing NGR: SS8451235451

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265580
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03660/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Garry Mayo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].