Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1057978

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Aug-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057978 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 13:15:58.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Brompton Regis

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS 95139 31488


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/28 Church of St Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary the Virgin) 6.4.59


Parish church. C13 tower, c1490 nave rebuilt with north aisle, restored 1853 and 1885 when reroofed, chancel rebuilt and south transept added, tower restored 1895, chapel restored 1962. Random rubble local stone, flat bedded in tower, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave, south transept, south porch, 4-bay north aisle and chapel, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to first stage pair of louvred lancet bell-openings, string course, narrow lancet, C19 2-light west window; 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, C19 pointed arch outer doorway, C15 moulded pointed arch inner doorway partly renewed with C19 door, 3-light to transept, diagonal infill at junction with nave, similar to that at Church of St Nicholas, Brushford CP (qv), priests floor, 2-light south chancel window, 3-light east end, 4-light to east end of chapel with set back buttresses, one 3-light window left of square rood stair projection with lancet, 4 right between stepped buttresses, 3-light west end. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 tower and chancel arches, former with corbelled inner arch, similar to south transept. C19 open timber roofs. Perpendicular arcade with vine-leaf capitals, eastern capital recarved. Hollow chamfer 4-centred arch to rood stair with stairs in situ; small arched niche in south chapel, presumably aumbry; trefoil headed opening in north side of chancel wall, possibly hagioscope but not set diagonally. Pointed arch opening between chancel and nave now giving access to pulpit. Pulpit dated 1625. C19 font. Organ in sout transept with plaque: "Restored George Ormond, Taunton"; the pipes are painted battleship grey. Can this be the same "pretty organ case in the Arts and Crafts style" which Pevsner commented on? The organ is said in the church guide to be by T C Lewis, 1872, and the case dated 1897. Brass in chancel to Joan Dyke, died 1605, and her husband Thomas, died 1639; memorial to Elizabeth Joyce, died l794, in chancell floor slab to John Mellon, died l703, in nave. (Kellys Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS9513931488


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265607

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

End of official listing