SIMONSBATH HOUSE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1058031

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: SIMONSBATH HOUSE HOTEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SIMONSBATH HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058031 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 14:02:56.

Location

Statutory Address: SIMONSBATH HOUSE HOTEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Exmoor

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS 77225 39232

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS73NE 11/14 6.4.59

EXMOOR CP SIMONSBATH Simonsbath House Hotel(formerly listed as Simonsbath Lodge)

GII House,now hotel.Mid C17,extensively altered C19 and C20.Built for John Boevey.Roughcast over rubble,butumen covered slate roofs,pyramid roof to porch with soffit board,roughcast stacks between fist and second bays right,between second and third at gable end of original dwelling,to right of porch and set below rebuilt gable end right.Plan:internally much altered,three or four-cell and cross passage with full height porch extended to U-plan.Two storeys,two:three:one:two bays,mainly C20 casements,tripartite sash windows second bay left,third bay canted bay window with twenty-four-pane sash window,right of porch twelve-pane sash window first floor,three-light casement below,tall porch with C19 canted oriel window,moulded C17 door,partly renewed,reached by flight of four slate steps,C20 inner door.Gabled two-storey,two-bay wing right,three-storey agricultural wing adjoining left.Interior:fireplace with chamfered lintel and enriched stops to right of cross passage dated 1654,imported C17 panelling and overmantel in hall from Weir Gifford,Bideford,North Devon with painted coats of arms,coved ceiling to porch room. This was built by the Warden of Exmoor Forest,John Boevey,and was until the early C19 the only house in the Royal Forest.Circa 1819 it became the home of the Knight family and was subsequently much altered by the Fortescues in the early C20.

Listing NGR: SS7722539232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265427

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing