EBENEZER METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1058197
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
EBENEZER METHODIST CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of EBENEZER METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058197 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 08:58:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
EBENEZER METHODIST CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckland Dinham
National Grid Reference:
ST 75253 51245

Details

ST75SE BUCKLAND DINHAM CP HIGH STREET (North side)

4/130 Ebenezer Methodist Chapel

- II

Chapel. Circa 1730, from written source; rebuilt and dated 1811. Coursed and squared rubble, facade under coped gable with urn finial, slate roof with ridge at right angles to frontage. Plain symmetrical front of 2 storeys, 3 bays; sash windows with glazing bars in segmental headed bead moulded stone surrounds with keystones; continuous moulded string above heads on both floors. Central door opening in moulded stone architrave with triple keystone, plank door, segmental pediment on moulded stone brackets. Painted oval stone plaque to centre of gable inscribed:- "Ebenezer Isam 7 and 12, 1811". Galleried interior predominantly of late C19, including pews and elaborate pulpit with decorative cast iron panelling; gallery of 1811 supported on twin columns flanking central aisle, balustrade of 5 recessed panels, fitted pews; plaster ceiling centre of curved and blunted acanthus leaves, also of 1811.

Listing NGR: ST7525351245

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267076
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00138/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert O. Caudwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].