Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1058224

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 01:04:09.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Witham Friary

National Grid Reference: ST 74403 41097



6/234 Church of St Mary, (previously listed as Priory Church of St Mary)



Parish Church. Circa 1200 in Transitional style altered 1828, rebuilt and extended 1875 by William White in Muscular Gothic. 3-bay nave and continuous one bay apsidal chancel, of local limestone rubble, supported on each side by 4 massive flying buttresses; combined pent roofed porch and vestry across West end; tall Western ashlar bellcote surmounting steeply pitched plain tile roof. Semi-circular headed windows to North and South sides of cl200 except that in West bay, all of 1875; blocked sanctus window on South side of chancel. Bulls eye West window of 3-light. Early English East window again of 1875. Plastered interior entered through Norman style doorway has stone vaulted roof of 4-bays springing from octagonal corbels, comprising chamfered transverse ribs and diagonal ribs intersecting at an apex forming a quadripartite pattern, Western 2-bays of the restoration. Nave contains Perpendicular upper and lower; entrances to rood; scraped octagonal font of c1450. Jacobean pulpit containing medieval work; royal arms of 1660 at West end. Chancel has double piscina with Carnaervon heads; reredos of 1875; Jacobean chair. Fragmentary medieval glass in North windows, that in South by Sir Ninian Comper.

Listing NGR: ST7439541097


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 266932

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing