CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1058258
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 05:17:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Whatley
National Grid Reference:
ST 73402 47603

Details

ST74NW WHATLEY CP

3/199 Church of St George

11.3.68

GV II*

Parish Church. Probably C14 with C15 tower, rebuilt 1859, further work in 1870. Local limestone rubble, dressed quoins, tiled roof. Irregular cruciform plan, South porch. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses, restored ashlar parapet with heraldic shields, similar to those on chest tomb in South transept, corner pinnacles, set back ribbed spire, panelled Perpendicular bell chamber openings. 3-bay nave and transepts, nave window openings with Geometrical tracery. Porch with Early English corner buttresses, early C14 double chamfered door opening. 2-bay chancel with C19 plate tracery, large squint housing to South and rood stair to North. Stripped interior all of C19 except early C14 double chamfered arch on corbels giving onto South transept, plainer tower arch, and archway and steps to rood, again of C14. Chancel has C19 muscular gothic choir stalls with poppey heads, full tile work and warble baroque reredos. memorial in chancel to Elizabeth Wilstead, died 1697, Ionic pilasters supporting broken pediment. South transept contains recumbant figure of knight, Rodger de Servington, on richly decorated chest tomb, made up of 4 panels with blind crocketed ogee heads. Figure wears plate armour and surcoat, shield with chevron bearing 3 stags heads; feet rest on curled stag. Gothic organ case; Cl2 tub font, cover with medievalising iron work.

Listing NGR: ST7340947607

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266912
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00015/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert O. Caudwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].