This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

24, 25, 26, 27, 28 AND 29, DOULTING VILLAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 AND 29, DOULTING VILLAGE

List entry Number: 1058520

Location

24, 25, 26, 27, 28 AND 29, DOULTING VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Doulting

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOULTING

1594/12/135 DOULTING VILLAGE 25-FEB-88 DOULTING VILLAGE 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 AND 29

GV II Row of former estate cottages. Erected in 1882 and extended in the early 1900s by G J Skipper for Sir Richard Paget of Cranmore Hall. Mainly of one and a half storeys, built in a Tudor style of Doulting ashlar with freestone dressings. Slate roofs with large axial stacks that have grouped polygonal shafts and moulded caps. The cottages front onto the roadside and the main elevation follows the angle of the road. They were built in two phases: Nos. 24-27 in 1881; Nos. 28-29 in 1901 or 1902.

EXTERIOR: The fenestration to the front elevation consists of single, two-, three-, and four-light stone mullioned windows with metal casements; some have been replaced in timber. The windows have hood-moulds with label-stops. From east to west, the row can be described thus: No. 24 has two storeys and an attic with an entrance set within a narrow two storey half-bay at the east end; No.25 and 26 are both of one and a half storeys with gabled half-dormers and a projecting central gabled bay which has a stone plaque carved with `1882' and `RHP', the initials of Sir Richard Paget, within the gable. No. 27 is also of one and a half storeys with a gabled half-dormer. It has a four-light window to the left of the entrance and a single window to the right. No. 28 has two storeys and an attic with a shallow, canted oriel to the first floor which has five-lights, below which is a stone plaque bearing the Paget family coat of arms. No. 29 has a two-light windows to the ground and attic floors on the roadside elevation, its principal fa├žade being the west gable wall. There is a continuous drip mould above the ground floor windows to Nos. 28-29. The six door openings, including one to the right return, have moulded surrounds with four-centred arch heads and plank doors.

The rear elevation is plainer. Nos. 24-27 are quite similar and each has a two-light attic window in a half-dormer. A number of the stone mullions have been removed and some roof-lights have been introduced. Nos. 28-29 have plain gable end stacks and two-light windows to the ground and first floors. There is a small two-light window to the attic of No. 28.

SUBSDIARY FEATURES: To the rear of the cottages is a row of single storey outbuildings, believed to have been wash-houses. Built of rubble stone with slate roofs,each has a single doorway and are also of two phases; the right hand section was added when Nos. 28-29 were constructed in the early 1900s.

HISTORY: Nos. 24-29 Doulting forms part of a larger group of estate cottages built in the village in the late C19 for Sir Richard Paget of Cranmore Hall. They were built in two phases: Nos. 24-27 in 1882; and Nos. 28-29 in 1901 or 1902. The architect was George John Skipper (1856-1948) of Norwich, and his illustration of the cottages was published in The Builder in 1887.

REASON FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: Nos. 24-29 Doulting is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Its overall high level of architectural quality, particularly visible in its key external features. * The terrace possesses group value as it forms part of a wider group of estate cottages of similar date, style and quality. * It contributes to the planned ensemble of which it forms a part.

ST6476643186

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 64762 43192, ST 64774 43182

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 12:06:46.

End of official listing