CHAPEL WITH COVERED APPROACH TO MENDIP HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1058586
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1990
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL WITH COVERED APPROACH TO MENDIP HOSPITAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL WITH COVERED APPROACH TO MENDIP HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 22:54:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL WITH COVERED APPROACH TO MENDIP HOSPITAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Cuthbert Out
National Grid Reference:
ST 57099 46542

Details

ST 54 NE ST CUTHBERT OUT CP

11/95 Chapel with covered approach to Mendip Hospital GV II

Chapel attached by a covered walkway to rear of County Lunatic Asylum, which is now a hospital (qv). 1845-7. By G G Scott and W B Moffatt, works supervised by Richard Carver, for County Magistrates. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, slate roofs with circular domes iron vents, 2-stage buttresses with offsets. Crossing tower with spire, transepts, nave, chancel, lean-to vestry; in C13 style. Two-light windows with simple tracery and lancets, some grouped; base of tower square on plan, top stage octagonal, broaches; 2-light bell-chamber window to each face, above corbels supporting a continuous octagonal stone spire with a finial. Elevated approach from hospital in conforming neo-medieval style, 3-light stone mullioned windows; set on bridge spanning road which runs along rear of hospital. Interior of interest. An important example of Scott's early industrial work; contract won in open competition; built by Kirk of Sleaford. (Builder, 1845; architects drawing in RIBA).

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1273952. This entry was removed from the List on 29th May 2015.

Listing NGR: ST5709946542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268199
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].