OUTBUILDING TO WEST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1058591

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jun-1992

Statutory Address: OUTBUILDING TO WEST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE, STOKE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OUTBUILDING TO WEST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 16:51:54.

Location

Statutory Address: OUTBUILDING TO WEST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE, STOKE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Rodney Stoke

National Grid Reference: ST 48189 49976

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

ST 44 NE RODNEY STOKE CP STOKE STREET (North side)

9/85 Summerhouse, in yard of Manor Farm (previously listed as Gatehouse to Old Manor House) 22.11.66 II

the entry shall be amended to read as follows:

ST 44 NE RODNEY STOKE STOKE STREET (North side)

9/85 Outbuilding to W of Manor Farmhouse 22.11.66 GV II

Outbuilding partly enclosing W side of outer court of manor house; converted into stable and granary in early C19. Late C16 for Rodney family of the manor house which stood on higher ground to the NE and was demolished c1800. Uncoursed limestone rubble with mould plinth band, dressed alternating quoins, remains of lime render and roughcast; pantile roof, verges with moulded copings. Rectangular on plan: ground floor has two rooms flanking through passage with wide E entry blocked by early C19 granary steps. 2 storeys. 2-window west elevation has central inserted loft door flanked by 2 hollow- moulded reserve-chamfered 2-light stone-mullioned and transomed windows with label moulds on first floor. Ground floor has central blocked classical-style doorway with semi-circular arch and ashlar surround; emphasized imposts to arch; remains of doorcase with architrave, frieze with cornice, and bases and pedestals of flanking columns (columns missing). Two small inserted window openings. East elevation formerly with 3 similar 3-light stone-mullioned and transomed windows to first floor: centre window replaced by plank loft door, but retains label mould; outer windows retain label moulds and ovolo-moulded surrounds. Granary steps to centre; hood mould over remains of similar window to right with inserted stable door; timber lintel over stable door to left inserted into position of similar former window with fragments of hood mould. Right (N) gable end has complete 3-light window to first floor. INTERIOR: central former through-passage has stone doorways with ovolo-moulded 4-centred architraves set in ogee-moulded surrounds opening into flanking rooms with stop-chamfered beams; traces of small fireplace and flue in rear wall of right-hand room. 6-bay collar-truss roof with chamfered collars, pegged and staggered through purlins and threaded ridge purlin. HISTORY: this building clearly enclosed part of the W wall of the outer court to the manor house, which stood to the NE. The precise function of this building is uncertain. N Pevsner (The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958) suggests a summerhouse. Although there is no evidence for heating, it is possible that the upper room was used for meetings of the manorial court, for the accommodation of servants or guests: Collinson (History and Antiquities of Somerset, 1791) states that Maurice Rodney (who held the manor in the late C16) was "one of those good-minded hospitable gentry who benefited their neighbourhood by residence at their country house .... and was the first that gave liveries to his men in the reign of Queen Elizabeth".

------------------------------------

ST44NE RODNEY STOKE CP STOKE STREET (North side)

9/85 Summerhouse, in yard of Manor Farm (previously listed as Gatehouse to Old Manor House) 22.11.66 II

Summerhouse, now store. Late C16 for Rodney family of the nearby manor house which was demolished c1800. Random rubble, moulded plinth band, dressed alternating quoins, remains of some roughcast, verges with moulded copings, pantile roof. Rectangular on plan, on deep plinth. Two storeys, west elevation with 2 moulded reserve chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows on first floor, labels, hay loft door to centre. Ground floor with blocked central semi-circular head door opening, freestone surround, emphasised imposts, remains of doorcase with architrave, frieze with cornice and bases and pedestals of flanking columns (columns missing). Two small inserted window openings. East elevation formerly with 3 stone mullioned and transomed windows to first floor, outer pair with mullions and transoms removed, nid C20 metal casements inserted; centre window to first floor removed and divided plank door inserted; stopped labels. Remains of a stone mullioned window with label on ground floor, much mutilated with only the lintol and a jamb remaining, doorway inserted. Further doorway inserted on ground floor. Flight of stone steps up to doorway on first floor. Interior with coeval roof trusses; some beams supporting first floor also appear original. (Reid R D, Some Buildings of Mendip, 1979).

Listing NGR: ST4818949976

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 268104

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing