This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1058602

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Cuthbert Out

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268127

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST54SW ST CUTHBERT OUT CP MAIN ROAD (East side) COXLEY

14/113 Christ Church

II

Anglican Church. 1839 by Richard Carver. Coursed and squared rubble, slate roof, coped verges, 2 with cruciform finials, gabled bellcote with bell at west end. Nave with west porch and north vestry, chancel. Lancet style. Five bay nave, diagonal buttresses at corners, tall lancets, hood moulds, at west end triple lancets. Porch with diagonal buttresses, a lancet to each side; pointed arch door opening, hood mould, paired ribbed doors. Short narrow chancel of lower height, diagonal buttresses, lancet each side, triple lancets at east end. Vestry in conforming style. Interior plastered on tile floors. Western gallery; mid-late C19 reredos, altar rails, lectern, font and cover. Early C20 pulpit, reader and pews; the pulpit in Art Nouveau style. West window with plain leaded lights; stained chancel glass probably of 1876; remainder of windows early C20. (Colvin H M, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST5260843302

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

National Grid Reference: ST 52608 43302

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 02:39:59.

End of official listing