GROUP OF 7 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ADJACENT TO NAVE, CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1058693
Date first listed:
25-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 7 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ADJACENT TO NAVE, CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 7 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ADJACENT TO NAVE, CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 01:03:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 7 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ADJACENT TO NAVE, CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilmersdon
National Grid Reference:
ST 69599 52419

Details

KILMERSDON CP CHURCH STREET (South side) ST65SE 11/159 Group of 7 monuments in churchyard, adjacent to nave, Church of St. Peter and St. Paul -

GV II*

Group of 4 chest tombs and 3 headstones. Nearest to church to John Moore of 1676, chest tomb, dressed stone, moulded plinth, carved pilasters, frieze with rosettes, ornamental panels between pilasters, hipped slab top moulded around lower edge. Next adjacent to south to John Moore of 1622, chest tomb, dressed stone, made up of 4 large slabs on simply moulded plinth, dentil cornice, slab top moulded around outer edge. Next adjacent to south to Moore family of 1644 and later, chest tomb, dressed stone, plinth, fielded and fluted pilasters, between the pilasters inscribed slate panels with floral ornament, hipped slab top, moulded around its lower edge. Next adjacent to east, unidentified, of 1632, chest tomb, dressed stone, plinth buried, much arabesque strapwork, oval panels to north and south with inscriptions much obscured by lichen, massive hipped slab top. On the east side of this group of chest tombs, 3 headstones dated 1680, 1692 and 1720, 2 with shaped tops, inscriptions.

Listing NGR: ST6959952419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267942
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09819/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil Bentham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].