Church of St James The Less

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1058709
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
Church of St James The Less, Green Street, Foxcote, BA3 5YE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St James The Less
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 06:48:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St James The Less, Green Street, Foxcote, BA3 5YE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemington
National Grid Reference:
ST 71555 55570

Details

ST75NW 2/91

HEMINGTON CP FOXCOTE Green Street Church of St. James The Less

(Formerly listed as Church of St. James The Less, Foxcote)

11.3.68

GV II* Anglican Church. Early C18 incorporating C15/C16 turret. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, moulded cornice, parapet with coping, slate roof, coped verges. Nave, chancel, west bell turret.

Classical/Palladian, emphasis placed upon entrance front; Perpendicular turret. Two bay nave with rusticated quoins, semi-circular head windows with emphasised keys and imposts, diamond-paned leaded lights. Door opening with segmental pediment on Roman-Doric half-columns, six-panelled door; two bay chancel of lower height, rusticated quoins; windows similar to nave with square-paned leaded lights. Small two-stage embattled turret, corner pinnacles, narrow plain bell-chamber openings, semi-circular head east window. Interior plastered on tile and flagstone floors; coved plaster ceilings with moulded cornices; emphasised surrounds to windows. Jacobean altar table, altar rail and chair. Panelled C18 pulpit with carving. C19 pews, lectern and font. Fine set C18 wall monuments; to William Ponting of 1708 with segmental pediment; to John Smith of 1714 in marble surround; to Richard Ponting of 1715 in bolection moulded surround; to Thomas Fisher of 1719 with achievement set over, to Robert Smith of 1769 with weeping cherub; to Hannah Orange in marble with segmental pediment. Slab to Sarah Weaver of 1718; early C19 wall monument. Two C17 coffin stools. South-east corner of exterior with inscription.

Listing NGR: ST7155555570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267874
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].