BUTLEIGH COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1058743
Date first listed:
15-Jul-1977
Statutory Address:
BUTLEIGH COURT, SUB ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUTLEIGH COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058743 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 21:23:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUTLEIGH COURT, SUB ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Butleigh
National Grid Reference:
ST 51943 33922

Details

BUTLEIGH CP SUB ROAD (East side) ST53SW

11/28 Butleigh Court

15.7.77

GV II

Country house in landscaped park. 1845 by J. C. Buckler, on an earlier site, further minor work by E. B. Lamb; for Henry Neville-Grenville; roof removed and interiors gutted after 1940; restored c1975 when divided into 3 dwellings. Coursed and squared blue lias, Bath stone dressings, parapets with copings, some embattled, some slate roofs, majority of roof unseen, elaborate profusion of ashlar stacks, singly, paired and in groups. Tudor-Gothic, irregular outline and plan. Two storeys with basement, towers rising to 3 storeys; irregular entrance frontage to North of 1:1:1:1:1 bays, 2, 3, and 5-light stone-mullioned windows, some lights with 4- centred heads, particularly large windows to second bay transomed, all lights with simple C20 casements. Entrance in projecting tower to third bay with angle buttresses, rich oriel to first floor, Royal arms on corbel. Below, door opening in a dressed stone surround with a 4-centred head, plank door with elaborate hinges. Hall at rear demolished during restoration. Interior with 3 fireplaces in elaborately carved freestone surrounds. (Drawing deposited at R..I.B.A).

Listing NGR: ST5194333922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267748
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08934/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Blandford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].