This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1058831

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lydford-on-Fosse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267551

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST53SE LYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CP CHURCH LANE (West side) EAST LYDFORD 10/77 Church of St. Mary

-

- II

Anglican Parish Church. 1866 by B.Ferrey for Rector J. J. Moss. Coursed and squared lias rubble, Doulting dressings, coped verges, cruciform finials, tile roofs with crested ridges except stone tile roof to chancel. Nave and south porch, chancel with north-east tower, a vestry at its base. Late C13 style with much Middle Pointed mannerism. Tower with octagonal upper stages, a lancet to each face around the top; stone spire with gabled lanterns; 3-light window on north side incorporating texts; shallow stair turret. Three bay nave, single bay chancel, lancets and 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery; east end with a 3-light window; west end with paired lancets and a rose window, (much damaged at time of re-survey August, 1984). Elaborate porch with much carved flora and 2 heads as label stops. Lofty interior finished in Doulting ashlar; arch-braced roof to nave, unceiled wagon roof to chancel; the latter also with encaustic tiles. Chancel arch supported by coupled detached Purbeck shafts with foliate capitals, dog-tooth ornament facing nave; chancel windows with further flanking Purbeck shafts. Reredos in neo-Jacobean style. Co-eval pews and choir stalls, the latter incorporating charming animal carvings. Plain C13 octagonal font reused from an earlier church. C15 alabaster relief of St.George, again reused, similar a small tablet with roman inscription. Vestry with C18 and C19 wall monuments also an iron chest with raised lettering "East Lydford Register Chest 1813". Stained glass of 1879 to east window by C.E. Kemper in early C16 style (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5723131252

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 57231 31252

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 01:15:40.

End of official listing