CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1058917

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058917 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:26:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: North Petherton

National Grid Reference: ST 30107 31136

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST33SW NORTH PETHERTON CP CHURCH ROAD (North side) NORTH NEWTON

8/60 Church of St. Peter

29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican church. Tower postulated of Saxon origin, altered 1635; remainder completely rebuilt for Rev. Thomas Eaton, 1885. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, tile roofs. Nave, chancel, North and South aisles, North vestry, West tower porch. Tower with Perpendicular features, remainder in an Early English style. Tower of 2 stages with a parapet and moulded coping, 2 and 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows with labels, leaded lights, slit window to North face on upper stage; 4-centred arch door opening in a moulded surround to West, plank door. Remainder of building with lancets, grouped; buttresses, offsets; vestry with chimney, rose window. Benched porch on flag floor, Jacobean panelling, moulded inner doorway, paired plank doors. Interior plastered on flag and tile floors. Broad chancel arch. Salient features the items of Jacobean furniture including an arcaded rood screen with heavy moulded cornice supported on 4 caryatids, 3 of which are said to represent Three Virtues; carved reader; carved pulpit, dated 1637; carved door to vestry with relief depicting parable of Wise and Foolish Virgins; reredos and altar constructed of re-used panelling; table; 2 carved chairs. Medieval consecration cross on south wall of south aisle. Painting of interior ante restoration by W. Cartright, C17 coffin stool and chest, C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails and font. Simple C19 stained glass, in Early English style, particularly to chancel. Jacobean work executed for Sir Thomas Wroth (Church Guide; VCH forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST3010731136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269322

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Peter Church Guide
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1906)

End of official listing