This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1058934



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Broomfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269264

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/1 Church of St. Mary and All Saints



Anglican Parish church. Predominantly C15 and C16, sore minor C19 work. Lias and red sandstone rubble, slate roof, coped verges, freestone dressings. Nave with a south porch, chancel with north vestry, north aisle, west tower; Perpendicular, embattled 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, topping stair turret; 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, ringing chamber window to south with leaded lights; westdoor, 3-light westwindow. Three bay nave, 3-light pointed head windows, stepped labels; porch with Perpendicular outer doorway, traceried C19 doors. Early C16 embattled north aisle; merlons with pierced quatrefoils, 4-bays with buttresses, gargoyles, 3-light painted head windows. Single bay chancel of early C14 origin; a priests door to south with a cusped head, blocked inside; 2-light square-headed window with a stopped label, 3-light east window. Interior of porch benched on flag floors; remains of stoup with a blind traceried head, inner doorway with decorated spandrels; early painted text above; C19 charity plaques. Interior plastered on flag floors under C15 wagon roofs, ribs and bosses, pierced carved wall plates with 47 carved angels holding shields; roof to chancel renewed C18/C19. C15 tower and chancel arches, the latter quite elaborate. C16 north aisle arcade of 4:1 bays with piers of 4-waves section, the capitals with leaf banding and on one 4 shields showing the instruments of the passion; arches with 4-centred heads. C15 octagonal font, a foiled niche to each face, C18 tester. Virtually complete set of C16 benches, square-headed with much intricate carving, one with carvers name:- "SIIMON WERMAN"; sole C17 linenfold panelling to aisle. On tower floor brass to Richard Silverton of 1443, a priest in mass vestments with chalice and host, head missing, inscription:- "Richard Silverton, chaplain, who governed this church in a praiseworthy manner, to the honour of God, the Blessed Mary, and All Saints for 23 years. He sumptuously repaired and magnificently decorated it". Medieval chest; C18 box; C18/C19 strong box; Royal Arms of Queen Anne dated 1714. C18 choir stalls and altar rail. Slab to nave floor dated 1689, slab under tower of 1729, 5 further C16/C17 slabs to chancel and 2 to aisle. Two late C18 wall monuments by Reeves of lath and King of lath; another early C19 by R Long of Taunton; further monuments, 2 to chancel with Latin inscriptions. Stained glass to south chancel window with figures of angels, canopies and medallions, fragmentary and re-set Cl5/Cl6, fragmentary heraldry of C15 to upper lights of south nave window; some C16 glass to aisle windows. East window by Morris and Co., 1913. Pair C19 decalogue plaques under tower. Andrew Crosse (1784-1855) was one of the earliest scientists to study electrical energy and his laboratory table on which he carried out experiments stands in the aisle. Obelisk to Andrew Crosse (1784-1855) of nearby Fyne Court in churchyard (qv). (Church Guide; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2242432019

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church Of St Mary and All Saints Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 22427 32019


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058934 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:26:23.

End of official listing