RETAINING WALLS AND STAIRS IN CHURCH CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1058986

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: RETAINING WALLS AND STAIRS IN CHURCH CEMETERY, MANSFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RETAINING WALLS AND STAIRS IN CHURCH CEMETERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058986 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 08:39:36.

Location

Statutory Address: RETAINING WALLS AND STAIRS IN CHURCH CEMETERY, MANSFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 56787 41198

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE MANSFIELD ROAD 646-1/4/395 (West side (off)) Retaining walls and stairs in Church Cemetery

GV II

Retaining walls and stairway to sunken cemetery plot. 1851-56. Rockfaced Bulwell stone and ashlar. The burial plot is in a semicircular amphitheatre, formerly a sand quarry, approx 10m deep and 60m across. The plot is ringed by retaining walls with continuous pointed arches divided by buttresses, with a coped parapet wall. On the north-east side, a tunnel entrance from Mansfield Road. On the north-west side, an ashlar stairway carried on segmental pointed arches and flanked by a balustrade wall with stepped coping. The plot contains many multiple burials c1900-1914, as well as conventional internments. Church Cemetery was landscaped by Edwin Patchitt of Nottingham, 1856. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 238; Reprint from The Mercian Geologist, Vol. 13, Sept. 1992: Waltham AC: The sandstone caves of Nottingham: Nottingham: 1992-: 19; Nottingham Evening Post : 02/08/88).

Listing NGR: SK5678741198

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457906

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 238
'Nottingham Evening Post' in 2 August, (1988)
'The Mercian Geologist' in The Mercian Geologist, (1992), 19

End of official listing