CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1059049

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 02:05:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Stockland Bristol

National Grid Reference: ST 24013 43620

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST24SW STOCKLAND BRISTOL CP

STOCKLAND BRISTOL VILLAGE

3/83 Church of St Mary Magdalene

-

GV II

Parish church. 1865 from documents; on the site of an earlier parish church; for Daniel family of Stockland Manor (qv); by Arthur of Plymouth. Coursed and squared blue lias rubble, Bath Stone dressings, tile roofs with bracketted eaves, copings with cruciform finials. Decorated style with much buttressing; nave with a north aisle and South porch, West tower, chancel with a heated north vestry and a South chapel. Three stage tower, diagonal buttresses to first and second stages, parapet pierced with quatrefoils, stair turret, 2-light bell chamber openings with louvresi 3-light West window, West door, carved heads stops. Three bay nave, 2-light windows; single bay chancel, 2-light window and a lancet, 3-light West window; 3-light South window to short South chapel. Plain interior, plastered walls, tile floors wagon roofs to nave and chancel, that to nave unceiled; scissor braced roof to north aisle. Arcade on octagonal piers. Both the octagonal font and the chancel screen are C15, reused from the earlier church; the latter restored and installed by F Bligh Bond c1920 as a memorial to the fallen of the Great War. Remainder of fittings of 1865; notable the stone pulpit with 10 detached Purbeck shafts, similarly the reredos. Much C19 stained glass, that to chancel by Clayton and Bell. Two resited C17 tablets to South chapel, 2 C19 tablets. Bells of 1865. Well balanced and precise copy of a Decorated building. Thomas Daniel was the rector. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2401343620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 268933

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing