GATEHOUSE AT COMBE FLOREY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059226

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE AT COMBE FLOREY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEHOUSE AT COMBE FLOREY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059226 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 10:13:18.

Location

Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE AT COMBE FLOREY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Combe Florey

National Grid Reference: ST 15112 31154

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST13SE COMBE FLOREY CP

3/66 Gatehouse at Combe Florey House

25.2.55

GV II*

Gatehouse. Dated 1591, reroofed when upper two storeys removed circa 1840. Red sandstone random rubble, slate roofs, gabled cruciform tower, steeply pitched on wings, coped verges to left of tower. Plan: 2-storey central gatehouse flanked by single storey wings with attics lit from the gable ends, irregularly placed fenestration; left 4-light ovolo moulded mullioned window under hood mould leaded panes, gatehouse first floor 10-light mullioned and transomed window under hood mould with leaded panes and moulded 4 centred arch below with shields terminating hood mould, right-hand one jambed dated 1591. Projecting gabled latrine tower, lit on left return. Right-hand wing with 3 irregularly placed C20 glazed openings. Interior: fine plaster overmantel with paired figures flanking coat of ares and inscribed below John Frances 1593. Moulded 4-centred arch fireplace with decorative stops and flanking columns. Plaster ceiling. It is thought that the Gatehouse formerly occupied more of the area to the Northwest adjoining the church, but this is not certain.

Listing NGR: ST1510931153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270277

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing