Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1059283
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Church Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059283.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:08:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Church Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Cholsey
National Grid Reference:
SU 58374 87007

Details

SU58NE, SU5886 2/69, 8/69 CHOLSEY CHURCH ROAD (West side) Church of St. Mary

14/06/63

GV I Church. C11 tower; C12 nave, chancel and transepts; mid C13 extension to chancel; late C14 rebuilding of tower above roof level and end wall of south transept; C15 extension to nave; c.1849 nave re-roofed; c.1877 north wall of north transept rebuilt, and two windows inserted to chancel.

Flint and stone with stone dressings, nave rendered; slate roof to nave; recent plain-tile roofs to transepts and chancel; roof to tower not visible.

Cruciform plan with central tower. Paired plank doors to Romanesque doorway to centre of nave with columns and carved capitals supporting zig-zag moulded arch. Blocked Romanesque lancet to left of centre. C19 three-light windows of Reticulated tracery, two-centred arched heads, hood moulds and carved end stops to left and right. Two-centre arched doorway with ribbed and studded door to tower stair turret at angle between nave and south transept. Romanesque lancet to left return of south transept. C19 Romanesque lancet to right return of south transept. Three-light window to end of south transept. Perpendicular tracery with carved faces to end stops of hood mould. Two C19 lancets to left of chancel with carved heads to ends of hood moulds. Two-centre arched doorway with studded plank door to left of centre. Three lancets to right of chancel. Three-light window with Geometrical tracery to east end.

Rear of chancel: three lancets to left, round-topped Romanesque window to right. Three-light window with Reticulated tracery to end of north transept. Romanesque lancet to right return of north transept. Rear of nave: two-centred arched blocked doorway to centre. C19 three-light windows to left and right of Reticulated tracery with two-centred arched heads with hood moulds and carved end stops. Three-light window to west end of Perpendicular tracery with segmental head.

Tower: two-light louvred openings of Reticulated tracery to each side. Paired trefoil lancet to west side. Battlemented top to towers.

Interior: sedilia to right of chancel. Crossing: Romanesque arches, those to nave and chancel on half-columns with carved capitals. Some medieval tiles to floor of south transept.

Listing NGR: SU5837787004

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
247953
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 229-301
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 115-116

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/07577/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pauline A. Jorgensen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].