THE OLD SCHOOL (FORMER SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF BRIANNE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1059418

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL (FORMER SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF BRIANNE), THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL (FORMER SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF BRIANNE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:35:46.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL (FORMER SCHOOL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF BRIANNE), THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Swyncombe

National Grid Reference: SU 69590 90253

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWYNCOMBE THE GREEN (North side) SU69SE Cookley Green 2/109 The Old School (Former school approx. 30m west of Brianne) GV II

School, now redundant. Early C19. Flemish bond red brick; Welsh slate roof: brick rear lateral stack. One-unit plan. One-storey, 2-window range. Cambered arches over shuttered windows to front and right side. Gabled porch with plank door in left side wall. Interior not inspected. Noted on 1840 Tithe Map as a charity school, and in Gardner's Directory of 1850 as a National School. Included for group value. (Oxfordshire Record Office, Tithe Map: ref. 378; Gardner's Directory of Oxfordshire, 1850, p.824).

Listing NGR: SU6959090253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 247580

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gardner, , Directory of Oxfordshire, (1850), 824

End of official listing