WATLINGTON PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059422

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: WATLINGTON PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATLINGTON PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059422 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 16:31:14.

Location

Statutory Address: WATLINGTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Watlington

National Grid Reference: SU 70627 92550

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WATLINGTON SU79SW 3/113 Watlington Park 18/07/63

GV II*

Country House. Built c.1755 for John Tilson. English bond brick; hipped Welsh slate roof; internal brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. Central 3-bay pedimented block, with lunette in tympanum. Stone Doric porch with triglyph frieze; late C19 double-leaf doors. Gauged red brick flat arches over sashes. Ashlar string course; modillioned eaves cornice. 4 roof dormers. Similar rear elevation and right side wall has canted bay. Interior: hall has marble floor and fireplace, and architectural trompe l'oeil decoration by Philip Tilden, 1921. Panelled doors, some set in bolection-moulded architraves. Panelled rooms to left have finely carved mid C18 fireplaces and plaster cornices. Drawing Room to right has fine marble fireplace; modillioned cornice on torus moulding; rococo plasterwork on ceiling wreathed in foliage, with swans in end panels; Ionic columns at both ends of room. Open well staircase with twisted balusters and ramped handrails. First floor has panelled rooms with plaster cornices, similar doors; early C19 marble fireplaces except C18 cast-iron grate to right. Dog-leg service stairs with turned balusters to rear left. Watlington Park was sold to John Tilson, son of the Under-Secretary of State, by the Stonors in 1753. (Christopher Hussey, Watlington Park, Country Life, Vol.CXXV, pp.81-21, 60-63; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.831-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.8, p.213).

Listing NGR: SU7062792550

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 247584

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 831-2
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 213
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 125, (), 81-91 60-3

End of official listing