CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1059466
Date first listed:
11-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 13:48:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Britwell Salome
National Grid Reference:
SU 67440 93679

Details

BRITWELL SU6793 8/9 Church of St. Nicholas

GV II

Church. Early C12; rebuilt 1867 by Charles Buckeridge. Flint rubble, limestone ashlar dressings; gabled old tile roof. Chancel, vestry, nave and west bellcote. Late C13 style 3-light east window. South chancel wall has trefoil-headed lights flanking Norman doorway: billeted round arch of 2 orders with scalloped capitals to engaged shafts. Lean-to north vestry has Early English lancet. Nave has 2-light ogee-headed windows: south gabled porch with pointed moulded doorway to pointed chamfered south doorway with plank door. Interior: chancel has C18 and C19 wall tablets and brass to John Mores, d.1492. Nave has mid C19 wood pulpit on stone base, lectern and pews; C13 cup-shaped font with fine early C17 ogee-shaped cover. Mid C19 roof. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.486; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.50).

Listing NGR: SU6744093679

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
247480
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 486
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1954), 50

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03456/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].