Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059494.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:05:43.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63490 76974


WHITCHURCH HIGH STREET SU67NW (West side) 8/227 Church of St. Mary 09/02/59 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary with St. John the Baptist)


Church. 1858. By Henry Woodyer on earlier foundations with re-use of earlier features. Stone base; flint with stone dressing; plain tile roof; wood shingles to sides and roof of tower. 4-bay nave with aisle to north; chancel; and west tower. Early English style. Double plank doors to right of centre with ornamental wrought iron hinges. 2-centre arched stone doorway with flanking buttresses. 3 three-light windows of Geometrical tracery to aisle. Stepped buttress at left end of aisle. 3 trefoil-topped lancets to possible former chapel, now vestry. Two-span roar; tower to right with splay-footed spire. Rear: C15 porch to left of centre with 4-centred archway with trefoil carving to spandrels and hood mould with label stops carved with angel heads with wings holding shields, Romanesque doorway with two unchamfered orders supporting round archway. Lancet to left. 2-light window Geometrical tracery to centre; 3-light window of Geometrical tracery to right of centre. Vestry to right: 2-centred arched doorway with plank door to left; trefoil lancet to right. Left hand return: 3-light window of reticulated tracery to left; 3-light window of adapted intersecting tracery to right. Right hand return: 2-light window to left with C19 tracery. Plate-tracery window to right with 3 lancets at base and rose window above. 2-light window to right gable. Interior: Floor of nave paved with memorial tablets mainly of C17 and C18. Reset medieval brass to left of chancel arch. Wall monument in chancel to Richard Lybbe; c.1599, of two kneeling figures with central prayer desk; armorial bearings above. Font of c.1858, probably by Woodyer: Stone; octagonal; central column with reticulated tracery forming base; dog-tooth carving to each face. Original wood cover with decorative brass handle. Pulpit, probably by Woodyer: Stone base; wooden octagonal pulpit with linen fold panel to each side with perpendicular tracery to top with ball-flower decoration to frieze. Patterned glazed encaustic tiles to floor of chancel. C19 choir stalls and wooden panelling to chancel and pews to nave probably by Woodyer. East window of aisle c.1858 by John Hardman. Good C19 stained glass to most windows. Nave roof: Curved principals with wind braces. Curved principal roof to aisle. High quality interior. (Buildings of England: 0xfordshire, p.838-9).

Listing NGR: SU6349076974


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 838-9


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05127/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Patsy Perrin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].