CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1059508
Date first listed:
16-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059508.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:11:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Kidmore End
National Grid Reference:
SU 69839 79319

Details

KIDMORE END WOOD LANE SU67NE (South side) 9/161 Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Church. 1852. By Arthur Billing. Vestry added 1894. Knapped flint with stone dressings; plain tile roof. 4-bay nave with apse. Early English style. Gabled porch to right of centre with 2-centred arched doorway with glazed C20 double door. Single lancet to each bay except paired lancet to left. Octagonal apse with lancet window to each face. 2 lancet windows to west end with quatrefoil window above. Lancet windows to south side. Vestry in similar style under catslide roof. Gabled roof to nave with hipped roof to apse. Bellcote to west end gable. Interior: Stone octagonal font with carved panels to principal faces, on marble columns with stepped base. Stone pulpit with Salviati mosaic panels to left of apse arch. Organ to right of apse arch with painted decoration to pipes. Piscina to left of altar. Sedilia to right of altar. Reredos of blind trefoil arches to three sides of the apse. Ornamental glazed faience tiles to floor of apse. Wooden truss roof to nave. Painted brick vault to apse with decorated ribs. A small church with good fittings. (Buildings of England: 0xfordshire, p.672-3).

Listing NGR: SU6983979319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
247379
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 672-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09327/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].