CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND BARDOLF AISLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1059519
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND BARDOLF AISLE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND BARDOLF AISLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059519.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:08:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND BARDOLF AISLE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Mapledurham
National Grid Reference:
SU 67005 76676

Details

MAPLEDURHAM THE STREET SU67NE (East side) 9/186 Church of St. Margaret and 09/02/59 Bardolf Aisle

GV I

Church. C13, Bardolf aisle added c.1381, alterations of C15 and C16, restoration of 1834 at the expense of William IV, restoration of 1863 by William Butterield. Flint with stone dressings to nave, chancel and vestry; flint and stone chequer to porch; brick and flint chequer to tower; plain tile roof. Nave chancel and aisles with west tower plan. Gabled porch of c.1863 to right of centre with double plank doors with ornamental wrought iron hinges. Ornamental pierced barge boards to gable. 2-light C19 Perpendicular stone window to centre. 3-light rectangular window with stone Perpendicular tracery. 2-light paired trefoil lancet to vestry to left. Plank door to left with cusped arch. Paired cusped louvred lancet to top of tower. Pyramidal roof to tower. 3-light Perpendicular tracery window to left hand return. Rear: Bardolf aisle has flint and stone in random courses. Stepped buttresses. Perpendicular tracery windows to left and right ends and middle. Plank door to left of centre. Blocked window and door to right. 3-light plate tracery window to right return base of tower. Interior: Romanesque round font with cable moulding on C19 base with remains of C19 painted decoration. Brass to Sir Robert Bardolf of c.1395 to Bardolf aisle. Chest tomb of Sir Richard and Dame Cecily Blount to Bardolf aisle arcade with recumbent figures to top and kneeling figures to sides. Good collection of C18 monuments in Bardolf aisle. Pews, pulpit, reredos, altar rail, choir stalls by William Butterfield. Decoration of chancel and pulpit probably by Butterfield. False north aisle created by Butterfield by inserting false arcade which obscures curved principal roof with wind braces. Original roof to Bardolf aisle with some replacement of rafters. Subsidiary feature: Clock to tower given by William IV. History: Bardolf aisle added c.1381 as a chantry chapel. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.693-4; Richard Williams, The Bardolf Aisle Guidebook 1977).

Listing NGR: SU6700476676

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
247404
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 693-4
Williams, R, The Bardolf Aisle Guidebook, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/12939/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].