FLINT COTTAGE FLINT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1059630

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: FLINT COTTAGE, 53, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: FLINT HOUSE, 52, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FLINT COTTAGE
FLINT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059630 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:42:52.

Location

Statutory Address: FLINT COTTAGE, 53, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: FLINT HOUSE, 52, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wallingford

National Grid Reference: SU 60519 89493

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALLINGFORD HIGH STREET SU6089SE (North side) Wallingford 11/87 Nos.52 (Flint House) and 53 09/12/49 (Flint Cottage) (Formerly listed as Flint House and No.53 (Flint Cottage)

GV II

House, now museum and dwelling. Probably mid C16 with later alterations. Flint and stone mixture with stone dressings; plain-tile roof; C20 rebuilt brick ridge stack to left with diagonally set outer flues, various brick stacks. Probably originally double-ended Hall house with cross-wings, indicated by continuation of quoins of cross-gables visible to centre first floor wall. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. 6-panel door with overlight and rusticated round-topped stone surround to left of centre. 6-panel door with decorative overlight and flat hood to right of centre. Tripartite unhorned sashes with glazing bars and plain stone surrounds to left and centre. 3-light casements with painted stone surround to right. Three 4-light stone mullion and transom windows with hood moulds to first floor. 3 cross-gables have stone dressings. Centre cross-gable has brick dressings continuing into first floor wall. 2-light stone mullion windows to left and right cross-gable, that to left having hood mould. 3-light stone mullion window to centre. Rear: large timber framing with some angle bracing to first floor with painted infill. Interior: C20 alterations to form museum. Areas of timber framing visible. Flint Cottage noted as having portions of canted bay window with diamond mullions. Single-storey wing to right, 2-window range. Probably late C18. Red brick wth flared headers in Flemish bond; old plain-tile roof. History: site granted in 1546 to John Norreys. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.518; "Some Notes on the Domestic Architecture of Wallingford, Berkshire", by P.S. Spokes in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol.50, 1947; "Historic Wallingford, a walk-round guide"' by J and S Dewey, 1982).

Listing NGR: SU6051989493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249255

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dewey, J, S , , Historic Wallingford A Walk Round Guide, (1982)
'Berkshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 50, (1947)

End of official listing