Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1059672

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 00:19:58.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wheatfield

National Grid Reference: SU 68867 99274


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WHEATFIELD SU6899 16/136 Church of St. Andrew 18/07/63


Church. C14, restored and remodelled c.1730 for the Rudge family. Render, on stone rubble, with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; wood bellcote to ridge. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, and west porch. Porch has 8-panel door with moulded stone eared architrave surround with pulvinated frieze and triangular pediment, the cornice of which forms string-course round the porch. C14 blocked doorways with 2-centre arched heads to both sides of nave. 2 round-headed C18 windows to nave with leaded-lights. C18 round-headed window to chancel. Battlemented parapet to nave and chancel and end gables. Rear: 2 round-headed C18 windows to nave with leaded lights. C18 round-headed window to chancel. East end: Venetian window with leaded lights. West end: round-headed C18 window above porch. Interior: C14 three-bay king-post roof to nave; plaster vault to chancel. Early C18 fittings include altar table; altar rail; box pews, family pew with frieze of pierced scroll work; pulpit, with tester; reading desk; and stone font on vase-baluster. Monument to John Rudge c.1730 by P. Scheemakers of pedimented Corinthian frame on brackets, surmounted by reclining cherubs and urn. West window has C18 armorial stained glass. East window by Morris and Co. c.1898. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.836-7; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.272-3).

Listing NGR: SU6886399273


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249150

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 836-837
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 272-273

End of official listing