ADWELL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059699

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: ADWELL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ADWELL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:10:42.

Location

Statutory Address: ADWELL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Adwell

National Grid Reference: SU 69677 99636

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ADWELL

SU6999 Adwell House 17/1 18/07/63

GV II*

House. Probably early C18, with alterations including staircase of c.1760 and staircase dome of c.1830; C19 billiard room; C20 alterations. Lined render on brick; slate hipped roof; various rendered-brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2-storey, 5-window range; 2:1:2, the centre bay projecting forward. Glazed double doors to centre with square stone porch on Doric columns. Side lights to left and right, flanked by pilasters of c.1960. 12-pane unhorned sashes to all openings, that to first floor centre has rendered architrave surround. Moulded rendered cornice to base of plain parapet to eaves. Left return: 2-storey, 3-window range. Tripartite sash with glazing bars to ground floor left. French window with overlight to right. 12-pane unhorned sashes to other openings. Rear: 2 storeys and attic; 9-window range. Sash door to right of centre. 12-pane unhorned sashes to all openings, except tripartite sashes with glazing bars to ground and first floor right and to ground and first floor left of centre. Flat-roofed dormers to attic. Interior: stone open-well staircase in apse-ended hall; with early C19 cast-iron balustrade, acanthus frieze, shallow ribbed-half-domes to apse-ends, glazed dome over centre with plaster floral moulding to vault. Late C18 fireplaces to most ground floor rooms. C19 billiard room to right of entrance front. Single-storey, 6-window range. Lined render on brick; slate roof, hipped to right. 12-pane sashes to all openings except sash door to left. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol. VIII, 1964, p.7-8).

Listing NGR: SU6967799636

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249015

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 7-8

End of official listing