CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1059703
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 03:15:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Adwell
National Grid Reference:
SU 69645 99581

Details

ADWELL SU6999 17/5 Church of St. Mary

GV II

Church. c.1865, incorporating some earlier features. By A.W. Blomfield for H. Birch Reynardson. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; stone bellcote; stone chimney stack to ridge of chancel chapel. 4-bay nave; chancel with chancel chapels. Gothic Revival style. Porch to left of nave with re-set Romanesque doorway of moulded round arch on columns; C19 plank door. 2-light windows of reticulated tracery to nave. 2-light Y-tracery window to chancel chapel. Rear: lancets to nave, except 2-light window of reticulated tracery to right. 2-light Y-tracery window to chancel chapel. East end: 3-light intersecting tracery window. West end: central buttress, supporting ornate stone bellcote, with flanking lancets. Interior: scissor-braced roofs to chancel and chapels; arch-braced collar-truss roof with king-posts to nave; Minton encaustic tile reredos; sedilia with re-set Early English tracery; Gothick-style monument to Frances Webb, c.1846 to north chancel chapel; effigy of knight holding his heart, partly covered by shield, c.1300, to north wall of nave. C19 font on cluster columns; east window by H. Hughes. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.419; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.15).

Listing NGR: SU6964599581

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249019
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 419
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 15

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05703/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].