This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CULHAM STATION TICKET OFFICE AND WAITING ROOM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CULHAM STATION TICKET OFFICE AND WAITING ROOM

List entry Number: 1059789

Location

CULHAM STATION TICKET OFFICE AND WAITING ROOM, ABINGDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Culham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-May-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248815

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

SU59NW CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD (North side) 2/30 Culham Station 20/05/75 ticket office and waiting room (Formerly listed as main passenger building at Culham Station)

_ II

------------------------------ The entry shall be amended to read:-

SU59NW CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD (North side) 2/30 Culham Station 20/05/75 ticket office and waiting room (Formerly listed as main passenger building at Culham Station)

- II*

Ticket office and waiting room. now disused. c.1844. Designed by I.K. Brunel for the Great Western Railway. Ashlar stone plinth; red brick with ashlar stone dressings; Welsh slate roof; to right of centre a brick ridge stack with diagonally set flue, to rear a lateral stack with diagonally set flue. 3-unit plan. Domestic Tudor style. Single- storey, 3-bay range: central bay projects to front and rear, and has higher coped roof. To right of centre and to left are C19 ribbed doors with 4-centre arched surrounds. To centre a wood mullion and transom window with stone surround. Wood cross-window with stone surround to right. George VI wall letter box. Wood canopy on decorative cast-iron brackets to all sides; with fretted edging, except to entrance front. Platform front: C19 ribbed doors with 4-centre arched surrounds to left of centre and to right. To right of centre a canted stone bay window with wood mullion and transom windows. Stone slit window to left. Interior not inspected. History: built as "Abingdon Road Station", re-named "Culham Station" in 1856. Drawing held by British Rail. Few of the Brunel-designed stations survive, and of the four built to this design only Culham remains. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.29).

------------------------------------

CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD SU59NW (North side) 2/30 Culham Station ticket office 20/05/75 and waiting room (Formerly listed as main passenger building at Culham Station)

_ II

Ticket office and waiting room, now disused. c.1844. Probably designed by I.K. Brunel. Ashlar stone plinth; red brick with ashlar stone dressings; Welsh slate roof; to right of centre a brick ridge stack with diagonally set flue, to rear a lateral stack with diagonally set flue. 3-unit plan. Domestic Tudor style. Single-storey, 3-bay range: central bay projects to front and rear, and has higher coped roof. To right of centre and to left are C19 ribbed doors with 4-centre arched surrounds. To centre a wood mullion and transom window with stone surround. Wood cross-window with stone surround to right. Wood canopy on decorative cast-iron brackets to all sides; with fretted edging, except to entrance front. Platform front: C19 ribbed doors with 4-centre arched surrounds to left of centre and to riqht. To right of centre a canted stone bay window with wood mullion and transom windows. Stone slit window to left. Interior not inspected. History: built as "Abingdon Road Station", re-named "Culham Station" in 1856. Drawing held by British Rail. Reputed to be unique survival of this station design. (V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.29).

Listing NGR: SU5292095276

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 29

National Grid Reference: SU 52920 95276

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 09:14:44.

End of official listing